A Diary of Dreams

Friday, May 18, 2007

Bird Salvation

I was walking to school, pondering as I sometimes do just how hard it all is, how vulnerable the little man is in life, with all the forces arrayed around him, often seeming so unsympathetic of our fate. "Who is to help us?", I wondered. I imagined the Guardian Angels, ever-watching over us, ever sympathetic. I wondered why angels were so often depicted with white, out-stretched wings.

Suddenly, into my mind flashed an image of a huge, Garuda-like bird, coming down to save a man and carry him to safety on her back. With a hard, almost armoured head, the difficult things of life are nothing for such a bird, who can protect us from any danger. I was reminded of the saying of Jesus that God looks after even the smallest of birds, he sees when they need food and when they fall from the nest.


Commentary- Imagine my surprise when I came into school, a warm feeling of safety suffusing me after my vision, to see that charming Yoko-Chan had rescue a little bird. In an ironic reversal of my vision, a human was helping a bird. She had saved it from her cat, who had hunted it and brought it to her the day before. She was taking it to school so as to take it to an animal charity later in the day, not wanting it to be endangered at home. She told me that she had lain awake all night worrying about it.

I was struck not just with the similarity of the vision, but that also another teacher that I had become very friendly with had had a similar experience, in which she saved a poor dogs life when another teacher had wanted to call the animal catcher and have it put down instead. This was such a similar show of heartfelt compassion and purity of mind, that I started to wonder if it is a sign, God telling me that these are people to be trusted. For them, too, it is like a kind of life-test... which is more important, their convenience or ending the suffering of another. In each case, they chose the path of kindness, which is beautiful.

No comments: